Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Production Week 4: Guest starring Thomas Harle

This week in class we had a guest artist who specialises in VFX, Tom Harle. Each team presented their projects to him so far and he gave us some excellent feedback! According to him we have achieved the ''Bioshocky'' look! And we are on the right track, but we might have to significantly trim down our scope in the reminder few weeks. As a group we have humbly agreed this. 






Willow

Relief:
This last week has been a busy one for myself as I tried to undertake a quite a few tasks. The first of these was to finish my art deco relief, which I managed to complete in the early stages of this week and get into the environment to try and help continue pull it all together.


Tower Bridge:
 The next task I set myself to have completed was creating a simplified tower bridge to add to our vista as after having a presentation this week with tutors we where advised, among other things to try and complete and focus on this area. This asset I finished today and will be putting in scene next week. 

Coral:
Alongside this asset I also made coral that could be added outside to aid our vista and further introduce the feeling of Rapture, I also made sure to add emmisive to areas of this coral, as it often seen in the underwater city of Rapture itself, and I believe with perfected lighting this could be very visually appealing. 

Materials:
My next task was to finish a material I inherited from one of my teammates. This material is to be for our tube tunnels to further inform the player that this game is indeed set in London. As my teammate had already done a brilliant job at laying out the ground work this is not a difficult task for me to complete and with a few more very small adjustments should be ready to implement in our environment on Monday next week. 


Lighting:
As always being the lighting artist in my group I also went through a new lighting pass as this has to be updated every time something new is added and being a artist every time I look at this I see something to improve upon. This week I tried to optimize my lighting further and get more realistic blending between the different light sources through the scene. Besides other small tweaks the other main aspect of this week was to add light shafts to the environment which can often be seen in Rapture particularly in rooms of more significance. In order to do this I asked one member of our tech team to make these for me so I could have full artistic control over them. The reason I also decided to create them in this fashion was because due to our environment being dark and trying to trick you into thinking you are under water the popular use of creating god rays through use of ambient fog and the directional light would not work as this creating a contrasting effect of making this look like a outside land environment. Also due to having such a dark sky light and the level of exponential height fog made the technique of creating these through a strong spotlight impossible. However these light shafts that my team made have now been put into the scene and while need minor adjustments are helping push the replication of Bioshock's signature contrasted lighting.  



Viktor

This week was mostly spent on getting feedback on our work from our guest tutor Tom, a games vfx artist tutor at Escapes studio's MA course. We had to present our progress and the artbible of the project too, which took the whole Wednesday, then he's done a quick introduction lesson on Friday. With EGX Rezzed being held this weekend from Thursday to Saturday, we didn't have a lot of time to get work done. 

My progress of this week was establishing an atlas for grunge decals that will hopefully help to break up the repetition of tiling textures. I'm net totally happy with the results, it will certainly need some more tweaking in the future.


Also I've been working on a door for the toilet area, which is starting to take shape. Base model is done and UV mapped, but missing a high poly detailing pass along with texturing. Hopefully it's done by the end of this week.



Kyran

This week mainly consisted of me refining and finishing off some more character based work and tweaking textures for assets i had already done. The character has developed a lot faster than I originally anticipated which is grand as it gives me much more time to create more and populate the scene with cool sea creatures! another thing i done this week was delve into some more technical skills with a water material; this was an interesting process, and very easy to understand- creating everything on parameters makes the whole material very quick and easy to change. 



Jakub

It turns out the glass shader was a huge undertaking. Now with Juriann we figured out a way to finally got it to look correct and will be implemented in the project at a later date. I've finished one bioshock styled modular building- model and textures. The handheld radio is ready to be put in game, and I'm remaking the balcony asset to fit more with the artstyle and quality.

As a team we agreed upon a more concrete folder structure which required me  move and name all assets that were in the other folder structure. This causes a lot of issues with perforce and I had to relocate all the texture with their appropriate materials.


Tyrone

For the past week, I've been modelling small assets that can go all around the main hall such as bottles, cardboard boxes and blankets which were used in the sleeping area of the level.

Coming to the end of the week, I have now moved back to the Bathysphere room, where I will be getting assets done for that, such as pipes, pumps, control panels, etc.





Hannah

Floor Tiles
The floor tiles (I hope) are now officially done. I was struggling to make the broken tiles look BROKEN and not ridiculous. With help from studio assistant Fabrizio it was decided that the best course of action was to make 2 separate materials and a mask material and then merge them together. I went back and made my tiles smaller so there was a lot more variation, I made a separate concrete material, and then blended them together in designer using a mask. Unfortunately there was still some undesirable artefacts due to the normal and height might combining when exported to substance painter. Viktor came up with a hot fix for this where we got rid of this height information and replaced it with another to keep it looking like a tiled floor. 


Dirt Material
It was bugging a few team mates we had no dirt for the flower beds. I went back and tweaked an old mud material I created for a previous module and tried to make this look like semi-dried soil. Considering it will be covered by a lot of foliage I hope this will do!



Clematis
The final major flower for the station area is a climbing plant called a clematis. Using the same techniques I've used before I made a mesh of around 500 polys which can snap so it can be used as a spline to entwine around the balcony. 
Celmatis with other foliage in a personal test scene


 

No comments:

Post a Comment